Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year's traditions

Every year we eat black eyed peas and rice on New Years Day. My Grandfather told me when I was little it was because the peas were for prosperity, the rice was for the riches and greens because that's the color of money. Plus it taste good and is healthy also. If you've been partying the night before it's the best thing ever. New Years Eve you just throw some black eye peas, onions, green peppers, and spices into a crock pot set it on low and the next day while trying to recover from all the champagne all you have to do is cook some rice.

I recently found out eating pork is also very lucky. Because a pig roots forward in the ground. Which represents forward movement into the new year. And we always have to have ham or hog jowl in the beans and now I know why.

Also I know eating chicken on New Years Day is very unlucky because it scratches backward and that is bad luck. Also anything with wings is considered bad luck because it represents your luck flying away.

Fish is considered good luck in some places because they can only swim forward and they look like silver. Which represents wealth. I bet fish would go good with some black eyed peas, rice, greens and corn bread. I don't know what the corn bread represents. Probably fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.