Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweat Potatoes.

When we noticed our uneaten sweet potatoes had sprouted eyes we decided we would try to grow them for our up coming garden. Only thing is, we have no idea how and instead of using the wonderful Internet to find out, we decided to do experiments.
Experiment one:
We sliced the potato in half and placed it in this old plastic container full of water. As you  can see it has sprouted these vine like things. No roots on the bottom as of yet.
Experiment #2:
We place the other half in a plastic baggie. and we've got lots of roots. So now we have to plant it, I think, and we shall see if we get any spuds. Regular potatoes you have to add dirt to as they grow I wonder if that is true for the sweet ones. Maybe, I will have to read up on it after all.

Mean while we still have not planted our hot house plants for fear of more cold weather and  look.........
Look closer.........
It's our first orange! Oh it's tiny, smaller than a dime, but that's a baby orange. Mom says it will fall off because the tree is just too small to suport it. So we will see.
And the blue berries are still green. They are getting a little pink but I think that's a sun burn.
I'm dieing to try one!! I'd like to plant about five or six bushes but I guess we are going to wait for warmer days to plant them. So we are also going to wait to buy more plants. Then it will be blue berry pan cakes, muffins, fresh berries on my cereal, ew..... and syrup for ice cream. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.